- Development of industries in the state
- Registration and licensing of new industrial undertakings
- Acquisition of land for industrial purpose
- Development of Industrial area
- State's participation in Private sector undertakings
- Industrial survey
- Creation and maintenance of Industrial Estates
- Organizing Exhibition, Industries Fairs within and outside the state
- Promotion of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs)
- Entrepreneurship and Skill Development
- Facilitating Infrastructure Development
- Promotion of Investment and growth in the industrial sector in the state through private/ public/ public private partnerships
- Publicity and Marketing support to industries
- Preparation of a policy paper for inclusive growth
Mandate of the Department
- Promote a mindset change among the youth to go for business enterprises as a means of employment.
- Provide Skill Development among the youth under ‘Skill India Programme’.
- Larger role for Heavy & Medium scale industries to promote employment generation.
- Provide support to Micro , Small and Medium enterprises under ‘Start up India’ programme, covering finance, infrastructure, technology, marketing support and incubation centers.
- Promote major industries in the state under the ‘Make in India’ programme.
- Develop infrastructure for setting up all kinds of industry by using waste land & closed PSU land.
- Take lead in National & International marketing efforts under ACT EAST POLICY under BRAND ASSAM BANNER.
- Promote rapid industrialization by effective use of Single Window Agency under EoDB along with self certification system.
- Promote forward & backward linkages in raw material supply and marketing efforts towards optimum use of local produces.
- Promote the use of best international practices in technology, management, marketing, R&D and innovation in technology.
- Revive and promote traditional crafts and industries by training , marketing, finance, cluster development.
- To upgrade the Tea Industry & decide future of ATC.
- Promotion of Small Tea Growers (STG)
- To review the State Industrial Policy for attracting bigger investments after consulting industrial houses.
Present Functioning of the Department:
The department is working for industrial development of the State since inception. The establishment under the Department is as follows:
A. Industries & Commerce Department, Assam(a) Commissionerate / Directorate
(b) Corporations under the Department
- Commissionerate of Industries & Commerce, Assam
- Directorate of Tea, Assam
- Assam Industrial Development Corporation Ltd
- Assam Small Industries Development Corporation Ltd
- Assam Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation
- Assam Tea Corporation Ltd
- Assam Trade Promotion Organization
- Assam Petro Chemical Ltd
- Assam Gas Company Ltd
- Assam State Chemical & Fertilizer Ltd
- Ashok Paper Mills Ltd
- Assam Spun Silk Mills Ltd
- Assam State Textile Corporation Ltd
- Assam Polytex Ltd
- Assam Syntax Ltd
- Assam State Weaving and Manufacturing Co Ltd
- Assam Powerloom Development Corporation Ltd
- Assam Conductors and Tubes Ltd
- Cachar Sugar Mills Ltd
- Fertichem Ltd
- Industrial Paper (Assam) Ltd
NB: Sl no 10 to 19 declared as closed.
B. Establishments under the Commissionerate of Industries & Commerce, Assam:
There are 27 District Industries & Commerce Centre (DICC) in Assam headed by a General Manager ( at the rank of Joint Director of Industries & Commerce). The General Manager of DICC is assisted by Functional Manager/Project Manager ( atDy Director Level) and other supporting officers/Staff. At the sub-divisional level, officer in the rank of Assistant Director / Superintendant of Industries & Commerce are posted in all Sub-divisions of Assam , (except the newly created subs-divisions). The Extension Officers of Industries & Commerce are the grass root level officers to look after activities in village level.